Tuesday , July 27 2021

Minimum title expectation: Men’s RTL in Santa Katerina on Monday



As was the case with the women of San Moritz, the winter also put men in a row during the World Cup.

In addition to the invisible danger posed by the crown virus, alpine skiers must also be aware of the harsh weather conditions. If the two Super-G women in St. Moritz were canceled over the weekend due to the risk of fresh snow and avalanches, the men in St. Catherine will have a new chance after being suspended on Sunday in the second giant slalom. After that, the next snow chaos could threaten Val d’Isere.

With the victory of Croatian Filip Zubcic, Saturday’s race was held in heavy snow, but the runners were not in danger. It was different on Sunday when the International Ski Federation (FIS) did not guarantee safety. “Unfortunately, the forecast was correct. The snow is very wet, a safe race is not possible,” confirmed FIS race director Markus Waldner.

“The track is very smooth, the rain is very bad, it can’t be driven. The reason is to postpone it until tomorrow,” Andreas Puelacher ÖSV, director of men’s races, said in good weather on Sunday morning. Temperatures should drop by at least eleven degrees on Monday night, when there will be snow on the giant slalom (10:00 am / 1:00 pm) again.

Puelacher hopes to improve

Puelacher expects a better race and result from Austria’s point of view, although he and Marco Schwarz (after the 14 / Covid-19 infection), Adrian Pertl (with the starting number 63 in the 20th / second World Cup RTL) and Manuel Feller were happy to fail. art. “We want to show that we can compete for tenth place. Others still need to improve so that we can be less than thirty years old again.”

Schwarz expects the slope to be “well-frozen” on Monday. “I have an upward trend, I can take that as a basis. It’s not an issue yet, I’m trying to improve from one run to the next to get up as quickly as possible,” Carinthian said. His compatriot Pertl, of course, has set himself the goal of qualifying for the second round on Monday. “It will be a real fight again. Then I will be there and I hope to have a very good race in the second.”

Feller spoke of the right decision in view of the track being “trampled” by the rain and hot temperatures, mainly because there was a chance of delaying it. Despite his failure, he took it with him that he could drive a “giant, short, dynamic swing” again. He practiced a driving style that should have been a little calmer. “You saw that one step has been taken. I’m going to the next race positively and I’m going to the gas station.”

After the Santa Caterina technology competitions, the Val d’Isere speed races are ahead of the race, but plenty of fresh snow is also expected there. The first workout was scheduled for Thursday only. “The prognosis isn’t necessarily good, but we’re going step by step. The weather is changing very quickly these days, maybe for the better,” Puelacher hoped.

(WHAT)


Source link